One thing I have realized we spend a TON of money on is "extra unnecessary" things. You know.....fast food, eating out, stopping at the gas station for a soda or even running in the store for a couple things. These small things easily add up into the $100's and can blow a budget fast!
With saving for our Disneyland trip I am especially trying to cut back right now on the extra things.
Some of my ideas-
- Meal planning & Grocery Shopping
- This takes a lot on my part but I know when I have meals planned out for an entire week or two I am less apt to think we have nothing to make or I don't have time. This helps me stay organized and even helps with having dinner done on time!
- Along with meal planning, we try and do a weekly or bi-weekly grocery store run. We might spend $150-$200 but we are then good for that long. I am not tempted to run in and grab extra things we don't need which really start to add up.
- Allot an amount each pay check for "extra"
- My husband and I have talked about giving ourselves a certain amount of cash out of each paycheck. This can go towards things like a soda, fast food, etc. When this cash is gone IT IS GONE. No using the debit card!! I really think this will help us to realize just how much we have been spending.
- Pay bills on time
- I am usually pretty good about everything being paid on time but I will admit there are things I forget once in awhile. These late fees can really add up fast!! I am trying to be very organized with paying everything on time as to not incur any of these nasty little fees.
- Make your own cleaners/beauty products
- You can find recipes online for everything from laundry soap to hair treatment. A lot of times these things can be made with things you already have. I will be posting some of my favorite recipes soon!
These are just a few of my ideas I know will help my family out. What tips do you have for cutting back and saving money?? I would love to hear them!